According to Ayurveda, a medical science, acidity, a condition in which there is an excess secretion of acid within the stomach is recognized as Amalapitta. Agni (digestive fire) is known to be the chief protector of the body and ama(toxic) is the real cause of the disease. The main reason is the indiscretion in taking food which incorporates its quality, quantity and timing, which leads to three types of doshic (physical energies) imbalance : one due to the intervention of vata, another due to kapha and the third one is attributed to the involvement of both of them.
Following guidelines along with the Ayurvedic herbal preparations like Indukantam qwath tablet, aptizoom syrup, indukantam ghrit, hinguvachadi tab, dadimashtaka churna, chitrakadi tablet, kalyana gulam, dasmoola haritaki leha is suggested :
- Foods that are rich in oils and fats, having acidic contents to be avoided.
- Smoking, Intake of coffee and tea are to be avoided.
- Immediately after eating one should avoid drinking water
- Fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and pulses which are good sources of fibre and which helps in digestion to be taken in plenty.
- Aniseed croomy (Saunf) and Coriander seed (500 mg) to be taken twice a day.
- Lemon water with equal amount of sugar and salt to be taken everyday.
- Koshna Jal (Luke warm) water should be drunk after 1/2 hour.
- Diet to be reduced to 3/4 th of regular diet
- Some sort of exercises to be done after a meal.
- One has to keep himself balanced as psychological reasons like anger, grief, anxiety and depression as potential reasons to trigger the onset of acidity.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Acidity
1. Vata Type of acidity
carminatives like asafetida and cloves are given. Preparations like Pachakshara choorna, Narayana choorna are prescribed.
2.Pitta Type of Acidity
Amalaki is initially prescribed in order to reduce the hyperacidity of the stomach. Then Shatavari tablet is prescribed. The medication is to be continued for two weeks.
3. Kapha Type of Acidity
The treatment begins with fasting to correct the digestive fire. Herbs are given in order to correct the digestive problems. Treatment with Shankha vati and Jeerakadyarishta is prescribed for three weeks.