Abhrak bhasma is an Ayurvedic medicine used in the treatment of respiratory diseases, diabetes, and skin diseases. This medicine is prepared from biotite mica. This medicine should only take as per the direction by a physician.
BENEFITS OF ABHRAK BHASMA
- This medicine is used in the treatment of respiratory diseases.
- It is effective in general debility.
- This medicine is also effective in anaemia and malabsorption.
- It enhances the strength of the body and nourishes the skin.
- This medicine cures the diseases related to digestion.
INDICATIONS OF ABHRAK BHASMA
- Kasa – Cough
- Swasa – Breathing difficulty
- Pandu – anaemia
- Ruk – different kinds of pain
- Grahani – malabsorption
- Kushta – skin diseases
- Prameha – diabetes
- Mandagni – indigestion
INGREDIENTS OF ABHRAK BHASMA
|SL NO||SANSKRIT NAME||ENGLISH||ACTION|
|1||ABHRAK||Purified biotite mica||Balances vata, pitta dosha , analgesic action|
METHOD OF PREPARATION OF ABHRAK BHASMA
STEP 1 – Purification of Abhraka – Heating and quenching in a decoction of Triphala or cow’s milk for 7 times.
STEP 2– The powder of abhraka is mixed with the paddy and tied in a strong cloth. It is then kept in fermented rice water, pressed vigorously. The resultant powder of biotite mica comes out of the cloth is called “dhanyabhraka”.
STEP 3 – The dhanyabhraka triturated with the juice of musta ( Cyperus rotundus) and pellets are made. These pellets are subjected to heating in special equipment known as puta. The end product is called “abhrak bhasma”.
DOSHA- DUSHYA PREDOMINANCE AND ROGA MARGA OF ABHRAK BHASMA
- Dosha – This medicine is recommended for the treatment of vata, pitta predominant diseases.
- Dushya- useful in diseases affecting rasa , rakta dhatu – indigestion, anaemia
- Roga marga – Useful in diseases affecting all roga marga.
- Abhyanthara roga marga – cough, breathing difficulty, digestive problems.
- Bahya roga marga – skin diseases.
- Madhyama roga marga – diabetes
DOSAGE AND USAGE OF ABHRAK BHASMA
125 to 375 mg after food once or twice daily along with ghee and powder of vyosha
(Zingiber officinale, piper longum, piper nigrum) or as directed by an Ayurvedic doctor.
EXERCISES AND YOGA For ABHRAK BHASMA
Yoga and Pranayama are a set of breathing and stretching exercises respectively, widely practiced in the treatment of different diseases.
Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – Effective in respiratory diseases, cleans the respiratory passage
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
RECOMMENDED DIET AND BEHAVIOUR OF ABHRAK BHASMA
- Avoid food items that produce dosha imbalance like cold, more acrid, sour and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items, Lukewarm water, gruel
- Avoid exposure to the cold environment.
- Avoid sugar-containing diet in patients with diabetes.
SIDE EFFECTS AND CONTRAINDICATIONS OF ABHRAK BHASMA
- This medicine should only take as per the direction of the physician.
- Taken by children, lactating women and during pregnancy only after consulting an Ayurveda doctor.
- Improper administration and overdosage leads to side effects
Can this medicine be used while taking Allopathic medicines?
Seek your doctor’s advice if you are taking this medicine along with Allopathic medicines.
How long the medicine can be used?
The duration of medicinal administration is based on your stage of the disease. Before taking medicine consult an Ayurvedic physician.
Is this medicine habit forming?
This medicine is not habit-forming. After using for a prescribed period gradually decrease the dose and eventually stop it.
CLASSICAL REFERENCE OF ABHRAK BHASMA
- Rasa ratna samuchaya
EQUIVALENT MEDICINES OF ABHRAK BHASMA
- Swasa kutar ras
- Kasa kutar ras
- Vyoshadi vataka for the management of respiratory diseases
- Agastya rasayan
- Diabetes – Yogendra ras
AVAILABLE BRANDS OF ABHRAK BHASMA
RESEARCH PAPERS OF ABHRAK BHASMA
- To study the general characteristics of abhrak bhasma: a wonder drug
- Effect of abhrak bhasma on the physiology and behaviour of drosophila melanogaster.
3. Effect of Puta on in vitro anticancer activity of Shataputi Abhrak Bhasma on lung, leukemia, and prostate cancer cell lines.
4. Analytical Evaluation of an Ayurvedic Formulation – Abhraka Bhasma
5. Modulation of oxidative stress by abhrak bhasma in drosophila melanogaster.